Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 am 

Hello there dear fellow linux users,
Some time ago when I came across UberStudent I decided to give it a try on my Samsung NC110. I've tried a lot of different distro's on my netbook, but using it just a week showed me its promise. Except that it was slow as hell, this was exactly the distro I was looking for. Recently I got myself a new netbook, the Lenovo Edge E145. (Check http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-Edge-E145-Notebook.103235.0.html for more info on performance and specs).

UberStudent worked great on it, or so it appeared on first. On some random interval it crashes, it just reboots without giving any errormessage. Very frustrating, especially when I'm in the middle of something..
When the powercable is plugged in however, it doesn't happen (so far).

After some googling I found out that it could be because of a proprietary driver. What do you guys think? And more importantly, how do I fix it? After the installation of the OS I installed a WiFi driver (no internet by default).
See the following link for a screenshot of the Proprietary Driver Manager and my System Information:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eb2go842zid84cy/F2s8R0JqEC

Thanks in advance!

- Samir

P.S. I have some experience with Linux distro's, but I'm far from technical with them. Simple formulated answers/suggestions are appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:25 am 

Hi there.

If this were an issue with UberStudent, it seems it would happen no matter the power source. It makes no sense at all that what you described happens while on battery but not when plugged in to the wall with the power pack. I'm concerned that your new laptop has a hardware issue.

Do you have any other operating systems on your machine? Does the same thing happen with them? Since this is a new laptop, you might wish to investigate this right away in case it is indeed a hardware issue and is covered under warranty. Even if you need to install something, say, vanilla Xubuntu, you might wish to test this.

So that would be my first suggestion: Test your machine with another operating system and see if the same thing happens. If it does, you've found the problem.

It also does not seem to be an issue with the software that monitors your battery supply. If it were prematurely thinking your battery was at end-of-power, your machine would suspend and not reboot - which, again, makes me suspect a sudden power supply interruption due to a hardware issue.

I don't think it has anything to do with the proprietary Broadcom driver, but in the meantime please do the following:

Open up a terminal (hit F12 on your keyboard in UberStudent) and type in and run the following:

Code:
dpkg -s bcmwl-kernel-source

The above command queries whether or not the package bcmwl-kernel-source is installed. Read the result from running the command and it will tell you. Let me know if bcmwl-kernel-source is installed or not.

Cool-looking desktop, by the way. :-)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * MSI 870-G45 Motherboard
    * AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * EVGA GeForce GT 630 1GB 128-bit DDR3
    * OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * 2 x Dell UltraSharp Monitors
    * With UberStudent 5.0 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:52 pm 

Hi Stephen,
This is the output:
Code:
Package: bcmwl-kernel-source
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 4179
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: amd64
Source: bcmwl
Version: 6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu6
Replaces: bcmwl-modaliases
Depends: dkms, linux-libc-dev, libc6-dev
Conflicts: bcmwl-modaliases
Description: Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source
 This package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver
 for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-,
 BCM4322-, BCM43224-, and BCM43225-, BCM43227- and BCM43228-based
 hardware.
Modaliases: wl(pci:v000014E4d*sv*sd*bc02sc80i*)
Original-Maintainer: Alberto Milone <alberto.milone@canonical.com>

Do I understand correctly and is there conflicting software?

Thanks. I've added that and some similar wallpapers to my dropbox (same link as before), feel free to download them (I wanted so send you a pm with the images, but I can't attach anything, and not even send a pm?).

I've only used Windows 8 shortly, but I don't think the problem was there, or it simply didn't occur yet.
If so, I think I'll try Mageia with LXDE. A pitty, I really enjoyed your distro. It's really stable and except themes (didn't like the default look) I had almost to install nothing extra, you really selected useful software! (And the auto-installer for skype and KeepNote spellcheck were great as well).

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:41 pm 

Again, it is HIGHLY unlikely that this has anything to do with UberStudent. You need to use your machine while it it not plugged in and with another system on it for a day and see if the same problem happens.

* G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Rosewill ATX Mid Tower

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:41 am 

I will, but problem is, the crashes happen at a very irregular interval. Sometimes several times a day, another time several days nothing. I will try it and report back.

-S

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:45 pm 

Alright then, here I am again.

Long story in short:
Manjaro en Mageia didn't want to install because lack of UEFI support I believe.
I installed Ubuntu, but because of the battery drain I decided to try the XFCE variant. Xubuntu was a pleasant suprise.
In neither of these distributions did I have this crash/rebooting problem. I also didn't had to install the WiFi driver manually.
I just connected with the cable to the internet and after the installation (updates + 3rd party software inclusive) everything worked except the brightness keys.

I decided to give UberStudent another try, but already while installing it showed signs of incompatiblility. When loading the screen for example it give me a lot of colors and many "U"'s all over the screen (the colors only when loading the live OS). I could live with this, but the crashes make the system unreliable. I still believe the problem lays with the VGA or WiFi driver(s). Something is just not compatible with my Lenovo hardware.

Is there a straightforward way to see all the drivers (X)ubuntu uses, and set these as defaults in UberStudent?
I'm not too technical when it comes to linux, if the proces is too complex I guess I'll have to wait for UberStudent 4 to see if that'll work on my Lenovo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:57 pm 

Is there a straightforward way to see all the drivers (X)ubuntu uses, and set these as defaults in UberStudent?
I'm not too technical when it comes to linux, if the proces is too complex I guess I'll have to wait for UberStudent 4 to see if that'll work on my Lenovo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:54 am 

Since UberStudent is built on top of Xubuntu, it has 100% of Xubuntu's hardware compatibility. In fact, UberStudent adds compatibility with hardware over and above stock Xubuntu.

The issue you describe is because the UberStudent Full Edition uses more resources, including more graphics resources (hence the "U"s all over the screen), than does stock Xubuntu. With the evidently older and/or weaker hardware on the machine you're using, you will need to use a lightweight distribution of some sort to get further life out of it. Some options are:

http://lubuntu.net/

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/uberst ... e-i386.iso

http://peppermintos.com

The latter two have new releases in the making based upon the current Lubuntu.

* G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Rosewill ATX Mid Tower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:27 am 

Dear Stephen,
This does not make sense since this Lenovo Netbook is more 'powerfull' than my previous Samsung NC110. UberStudent worked fine there, except that it was really slow. On this netbook it wasn't slow, as a matter of fact UberStudent was generally faster than my i7 pc running Windows 7 in almost everything except the boot time.

I see you suggested (an older version of) UberStudent 2.0. Does this not bring security issues into the picture?
And because it's a 'lightweight' version, does it include less software packages by default?

Thanks in advance!
I've been using Xubuntu for a while now but it just doesn't feel complete, even though I installed the necessary software manually. Any idea when UberStudent 4 will be ready, and if I can expect it to work smoothly on my Lenovo netbook? I guess I might try the suggest lightweight version and Mint XFCE might also be a better alternative for Xubuntu.

-S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:41 am 

Boot in and try this in 3.0:

1. Press F12 on your keyboard and past in to the drop-down terminal and run:

Code:
killall conky

2. Now go to Applications > System > Look and Feel > Compositing and click the entry for Stop All and click 'Stop Effects."

Does the issue still happen?

* G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Rosewill ATX Mid Tower

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!